Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hexa Mesh around conical ellipse

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to create a hexa mesh around an ellipse in x-y plane which is conical in z-direction (v4.0a).

I use symmetry, so that the "conical cylinder" is split along the z-axis.
How is that possible? Sweeping a surface mesh through the z-direction doesn't work.

I appreciate your comments,
best wishes
mb

3 Replies Last Post Dec 1, 2010, 3:36 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 1, 2010, 2:51 a.m. EST
Hi

I have some problems to visualise your shape there from the explanations, but if you want to use sweep cant you mesh a surface and sweep it. Ther are a fwe limitations for sweeps, so you might need to cut up your geoemtry along doe symmetry planes to ease the meshing

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have some problems to visualise your shape there from the explanations, but if you want to use sweep cant you mesh a surface and sweep it. Ther are a fwe limitations for sweeps, so you might need to cut up your geoemtry along doe symmetry planes to ease the meshing -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 1, 2010, 3:00 a.m. EST
Hi,

okay my explanation was a bit confusing. I try to make it clearer.

I want to model a plate with a hole. The hole has an elliptical cross section and is conical shaped into the thickness direction of the plate, so that the ellipse radii on the upper surface of the plate are larger than on the lower surface.

The symmetry plane goes through the hole. It seems that sweep meshing doesn't work in this case or am I missing anything? What else is possible? Tet meshing seems very element-consuming and hex meshing capabilities in COMSOL seem only to work for really easy geometries. Is it possible to create something like a C-Grid with the meshing tool around circular edges?

Thanks for your answer so far.

Sincerely,
mb

Hi, okay my explanation was a bit confusing. I try to make it clearer. I want to model a plate with a hole. The hole has an elliptical cross section and is conical shaped into the thickness direction of the plate, so that the ellipse radii on the upper surface of the plate are larger than on the lower surface. The symmetry plane goes through the hole. It seems that sweep meshing doesn't work in this case or am I missing anything? What else is possible? Tet meshing seems very element-consuming and hex meshing capabilities in COMSOL seem only to work for really easy geometries. Is it possible to create something like a C-Grid with the meshing tool around circular edges? Thanks for your answer so far. Sincerely, mb

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 1, 2010, 3:36 a.m. EST
Hi

in 4.1 at least I can mesh with triangles an upper surface and get the sweep in the thickness.
Now I cannot easily make an elliptical cone (no tapered angle in COMSOL , but I made a quick part with an elliptical cylinder hole and a cone hole in the same time (without nice symmetries) it all sweep-meshes nicely

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 4.1 at least I can mesh with triangles an upper surface and get the sweep in the thickness. Now I cannot easily make an elliptical cone (no tapered angle in COMSOL , but I made a quick part with an elliptical cylinder hole and a cone hole in the same time (without nice symmetries) it all sweep-meshes nicely -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.