Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

symmetry of the boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I'm designing a pin diode to calculate the quantum efficiency. Before calculating the electric field, I need to idetify the forts of the structure. I have chosen the bottom and top surface as scattering boundar conditions but I'm not sure the lateral sides. At the end my structure will be formed of 2d array of pin diodes so lateral sides are kind of symmetry. Which type of boundary must be used for this case?
Thank you in advence.

4 Replies Last Post Oct 22, 2016, 6:51 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 a.m. EDT
Hi Havva

for your case to make your structure infinite you can use Floquet boundary conditions on the vertical sides of your 2D structure , the best example to follow is the Plasmonic grating in RF model library in this link
www.comsol.com/model/plasmonic-wire-grating-10032

for any questions your are welcome
Hi Havva for your case to make your structure infinite you can use Floquet boundary conditions on the vertical sides of your 2D structure , the best example to follow is the Plasmonic grating in RF model library in this link https://www.comsol.com/model/plasmonic-wire-grating-10032 for any questions your are welcome

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 22, 2016, 5:20 a.m. EDT
Hi Randomaa,
I have tried floquat boundary condition but I get this warning.

Errors during multiphysics.
Failed to find destination boundaries or the destination selection is empty.
- Feature: Periodic Condition 2 (pc2)
- Feature: Compile Equations: Frequency Domain (sol1/st1)

I couldn't solve this problem. I have identified all the boundary selection with all the laterals.
Thank you very much for your interest.
Hi Randomaa, I have tried floquat boundary condition but I get this warning. Errors during multiphysics. Failed to find destination boundaries or the destination selection is empty. - Feature: Periodic Condition 2 (pc2) - Feature: Compile Equations: Frequency Domain (sol1/st1) I couldn't solve this problem. I have identified all the boundary selection with all the laterals. Thank you very much for your interest.

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 22, 2016, 5:20 a.m. EDT
Hi Randomaa,
I have tried floquat boundary condition but I get this warning.

Errors during multiphysics.
Failed to find destination boundaries or the destination selection is empty.
- Feature: Periodic Condition 2 (pc2)
- Feature: Compile Equations: Frequency Domain (sol1/st1)

I couldn't solve this problem. I have identified all the boundary selection with all the laterals.
Thank you very much for your interest.
Hi Randomaa, I have tried floquat boundary condition but I get this warning. Errors during multiphysics. Failed to find destination boundaries or the destination selection is empty. - Feature: Periodic Condition 2 (pc2) - Feature: Compile Equations: Frequency Domain (sol1/st1) I couldn't solve this problem. I have identified all the boundary selection with all the laterals. Thank you very much for your interest.

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 22, 2016, 6:51 a.m. EDT
Hi Havva

it seems that you made two sets of Periodic boundary condition and assign one for each side , this will lead to such error . Instead make only one PC and select all outer vertical boundaries of your geometry as in the above mentioned tutorial model , unless you have another situation or geometry in this case it's better to attach the model of just a diagram of your geometry so I can figure out the problem

Good Luck

M.H.Elshorbagy

UCM Spain
Hi Havva it seems that you made two sets of Periodic boundary condition and assign one for each side , this will lead to such error . Instead make only one PC and select all outer vertical boundaries of your geometry as in the above mentioned tutorial model , unless you have another situation or geometry in this case it's better to attach the model of just a diagram of your geometry so I can figure out the problem Good Luck M.H.Elshorbagy UCM Spain

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.