Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need help specifying domain and mesh.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all.

My model is simply a cone with the pointy end smoothed out by making the tip a hemisphere--I set this up with the 2d axially symmetric setting. I want to create a box (Domain I think is the jargon term) in which the cone can sit, set the bottom part of the box and the surface of the cone at a particular voltage, the top at ground, and the sides to have a periodic boundary condition. Then I want to mesh the space between the cone and the ends of the box and solve for the electric field inside.

I am having trouble first setting up this domain. How exactly does one define a domain? All the models I've looked at so far are for PDE's that are solved ON the geometry. I can't seem to find any relevant models for solving for the space around and between geometries.

I think once I have the domain setup properly I can figure out myself how to mesh and setup boundary conditions, but any suggestions or tips on this as well will be very helpful.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

0 Replies Last Post Dec 19, 2016, 8:06 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Leviyev

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.