Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining time dependent heat flux

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
In my model, of moving heat load, i want to see the effect of heating as well as cooling on specimen.
for this i want to define heating and cooling time separately in the same simulation, how i should write conditional statement.

Thank you.

4 Replies Last Post Feb 9, 2017, 4:39 a.m. EST

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 7, 2017, 12:40 p.m. EST
If you are using convective heat flux.. and changing ambient temperature. then you can use ambient temperature as a step function or else type this expression in ambient temperature field . if(t<heatingtime, T_hot, T_cold).
If you are using convective heat flux.. and changing ambient temperature. then you can use ambient temperature as a step function or else type this expression in ambient temperature field . if(t

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 8, 2017, 10:50 p.m. EST
Thank you for your quick reply.

In the model, I am applying a heat source which is moving with certain velocity and heating the specimen, when i am defining the time study the heat source is running for the defined time and by that time only heating is happening which i don't want. I want to stop the heat source functioning after certain time to diffuse the heat. for this i have to define heating time and cooling time in same simulation.
Thank you for your quick reply. In the model, I am applying a heat source which is moving with certain velocity and heating the specimen, when i am defining the time study the heat source is running for the defined time and by that time only heating is happening which i don't want. I want to stop the heat source functioning after certain time to diffuse the heat. for this i have to define heating time and cooling time in same simulation.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 9, 2017, 2:40 a.m. EST
Hi,

Maybe this blog post will give you some ideas:

www.comsol.se/blogs/how-to-make-boundary-conditions-conditional-in-your-simulation/

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Maybe this blog post will give you some ideas: https://www.comsol.se/blogs/how-to-make-boundary-conditions-conditional-in-your-simulation/ Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 9, 2017, 4:39 a.m. EST
Thank you for your response.

Regards,
Sujit
Thank you for your response. Regards, Sujit

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.