Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary heat source with temperature as a dependent variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm try to solve this solid heat transfer case with a boundary heat source. The heat source Q is a function of surface temperature. Can I just use 'boundary heat source' boundary condition with the Qb=f(T) equation?
Will this result in non-linearity because of solution dependency? If so, what is the right way to do it?

Thank you very much.

2 Replies Last Post Apr 2, 2017, 3:09 p.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 2, 2017, 11:39 a.m. EDT
Fei

It should not be a problem. I have used this method to impose a boundary heat sink at an evaporating interface (Qb=f(T)) and it gave me a good result which matched the temperatures that I'd measured by a thermocouple in the Lab. Keep in mind that you must set a good initial value for the temperature since it uses the initial temperature to start calculating Qb.

My suggestion is that you design a 1D model for which you already know the analytical solution (Somthing like heat transfer through a wall with convective heat transfer at one side and known temperature at the other side). Then solve it numerically with Comsol and compare the results.

Amin,

Fei It should not be a problem. I have used this method to impose a boundary heat sink at an evaporating interface (Qb=f(T)) and it gave me a good result which matched the temperatures that I'd measured by a thermocouple in the Lab. Keep in mind that you must set a good initial value for the temperature since it uses the initial temperature to start calculating Qb. My suggestion is that you design a 1D model for which you already know the analytical solution (Somthing like heat transfer through a wall with convective heat transfer at one side and known temperature at the other side). Then solve it numerically with Comsol and compare the results. Amin,

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 2, 2017, 3:09 p.m. EDT
Amin,

Thank you so much!

Fei
Amin, Thank you so much! Fei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.