Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer in an axial symmetric fin

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

I am trying to find the heat transfer from an axially symmetric fin using COMSOL. What I've done is to create a fin using the axisymmetric mode. This essentially looks like a 2D rectangle on the screen. To calculate the heat tranfered I've then selected the appropriate sides in a Line Integral and found ht.ntflux. Is this the heat transfered for the whole fin? I've got a slight feeling that I might need to times it by 2 * pi * r however I'm not sure what the 'r' value is in axisymmetric mode, if I perform a line integral on 'r' it gives the unit at m^2. Could anyone offer any help?

Thanks very much

2 Replies Last Post Apr 27, 2017, 2:06 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 23, 2017, 8:46 p.m. EDT
George,
I'm not sure if I could imagine your geometry correctly. However, in this case, I'd simply change the expression inside the integral to "1" and see if it calculates the correct surface area.
Amin,
George, I'm not sure if I could imagine your geometry correctly. However, in this case, I'd simply change the expression inside the integral to "1" and see if it calculates the correct surface area. Amin,

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 27, 2017, 2:06 a.m. EDT
If you tick the box "calculate surface integral" you get the integral over the cylinder, otherwise you get only the line integral.

L
If you tick the box "calculate surface integral" you get the integral over the cylinder, otherwise you get only the line integral. L

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.