Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cap Faces of complex geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!

I´m sorry to bother you guys, but I simply can`t figure out how to solve two problems in COMSOL (4.4) and hope anyone could help.

I was given a ~20 MB step. geometry consisting 3 solids. The CAD-Software used is unknown to me. After havin imported it to COMSOL I get these 3 solids with waaaaaay too many edges, and therefore faces - e.g. attached picture .

My goal is to simulate the flow in the void of these 3 solids.
To do so, I first want to use the function "cap faces", convert the void into a solid, and delete the 3 imported ones....

The problem: for some reason it`s not possible to simply use "cap faces" while selecting the outer edges of a geometry like in the attached picture. The hole you see in the picture is actually a quite easy one compared to other geometry I`ve got in the model.
Also, after having used the function "form composite faces" first, and then using "cap faces", ALL the edges come back which where composited before.

Does anyone have an idea how to accomplish this goal of mine?

BTW: simple holes are being capped without any problem.

Thanks in advance
Eugen

0 Replies Last Post May 6, 2017, 7:03 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eugen Heinrich

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.