Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

add mechanical damping, not convergence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When I compute a piezoelectric transducer in a water domain, the solution works well and convergence. However, when I add mechanical damping to the piezoelectric material and keep others all the same, the solution can not convergence, I am wondering why?
have a good day.
--
sandra wang

3 Replies Last Post May 9, 2017, 10:17 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago May 8, 2017, 10:14 a.m. EDT
Hi Sandra,

You have not specified what type of study, or what type of damping, you are using when you get the problem. Without that, it is difficult to tell.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi Sandra, You have not specified what type of study, or what type of damping, you are using when you get the problem. Without that, it is difficult to tell. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago May 8, 2017, 10:32 p.m. EDT

Hi Henrik,

The study is frequency domain, I only add mechanical damping 0.05 to the piezoelectric material, then the model begin not to convergence in the solution. Although the damping value is very small, still not convergence, but if the value is zero, the model works well.
Best Regards
--
sandra wang
Hi Henrik, The study is frequency domain, I only add mechanical damping 0.05 to the piezoelectric material, then the model begin not to convergence in the solution. Although the damping value is very small, still not convergence, but if the value is zero, the model works well. Best Regards -- sandra wang

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago May 9, 2017, 10:17 a.m. EDT
Hi,

This is an anomalous behavior, since such damping should stabilize the model numerically. I suspect something is strange in the setup of your model.

Henrik
Hi, This is an anomalous behavior, since such damping should stabilize the model numerically. I suspect something is strange in the setup of your model. Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.