Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Current density in soil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I used the AC/DC module and electric current (ec) to model a semi-spherical soil with a current point source in the center upper surface.

I visualized the electrical potential created by this current injection in an homogeneous soil and the results were good.

Now I wanted to add a conducting cylinder (different resistivity from the surrounding soil) under the current point source and check the results. The potential (V) seems ok but the current density norm (ec.normJ) along the cylinder axis (see picture) is not perfectly symmetrical (despite the problem's symmetry) and rather "noisy" as you can see in picture 2.

I put the finest mesh I could have and made sure it was symmetrical to the plan cutting the cylinder in half along the radius.

If someone can tell me how to make the current density values cleaner I would appreciate!

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post May 16, 2017, 9:35 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Antonin Bouchard

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.