Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem With Identity Pairs and Boundary Mode Analysis: RF Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm working on a problem where I want to launch a surface wave (plasmonic) down a gold rod and determine the power at the other end. Since there are reflections from the far end, I've used assembly mode and identity pairs to try to launch the wave so that whatever is reflected is absorbed behind the port by a PML.

However, the eigenmodes I want to launch at the port MUST come from boundary mode (it's a multiphysics problem in 3D...boundary mode, hybrid waves+harmonic propagation).

I select the pairs in boundary mode, assign the appropriate material parameters, and for the life of me I can't find the mode for the PAIR.

Pardiso solver: "The relative residual is greater than the relative tolerance"

It works fine for just one boundary, but I want to use the pair so that there's a 'master', 'slave' relation between the two sides (forward propagating, and backward prop waves).

I've played with every setting available, and CAN get it to converge, but the answers are nonsense....."noise"

I meshed each side identically. And, again, everything else works fine....I just can't get boundary mode to solve for the pair...

Comsol 3.5a

Any suggestions? Help is VERY appreciated. Thanks!
--matt

0 Replies Last Post Feb 20, 2011, 11:19 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matt Chabalko

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.