Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange results when solving on a picometer scale.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I wish to model heat flow along actual chains of polymers.
Because of this I am using models with sizes of the order of picometers in 2D, and I am solving with the heat transfer by conduction mode with transient analysis.

Problem:
When I make my models there seems to be heat entering the model even though I havn't defined any sources of heat yet.
If I simply graw a box and press solve (with the UMFPACK solver) I get an error saying:
"Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity."
and COMSOL tells me my box with no sources of heat defined has a temperature of 3.36e302 K.

I tried switching to the PARADISO solver and I get a different error saying:
"Error in linear system solver.
The_relative_error_is_greater_than_the_relative_tolerance"

I get no such errors unless I am working on tiny picometer scales.
Does anyone know what could be the cause (and solution to) these errors and these 'phantom' sources of heat?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 21, 2011, 6:07 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2011, 6:07 a.m. EST
Hi

if you go too small you must ensure a) you have also set the geometry relative and absolute repair sizes such that your geometry is not misinterpreted. b) check your scaling you might get a numerical issue, you can ask the solver to be more detailed for its log in the solver subnodes (sorry that is for 4)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you go too small you must ensure a) you have also set the geometry relative and absolute repair sizes such that your geometry is not misinterpreted. b) check your scaling you might get a numerical issue, you can ask the solver to be more detailed for its log in the solver subnodes (sorry that is for 4) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.