Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effect of constant magnetic field on Scattering cross section

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello every one,
Is it possible to couple the wave optics and AC/DC physics to check the effect of constant magnetic field (1.5 T for instance ) on the scattering cross section of Gold nano sphere.

OR

Any other method to check this effect by using comsol multiphysics.

Thank you

best,
Ali

2 Replies Last Post Aug 8, 2017, 1:55 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 7, 2017, 7:56 p.m. EDT
Well, you'll need to include whatever physics causes a gold nanosphere to exhibit magnetic properties. Is that even known? This is not my specialty, but some literature I found says it is some kind of room temperature quantum effect, e.g., see:
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cphc.201200394/abstract
pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/nr/c2nr30640a#!divAbstract
www.researchgate.net/publication/229427051_Magnetism_in_Gold_Nanoparticles
Anyway, assuming you actually succeed at understanding the physics behind (or at least find some PDE or rule to quantify) how gold exhibits material property changes when it is immersed in an externally applied magnetic field, then (and probably only then) you may be able to compute how the specific properties (epsilon, mu) within a gold nanosphere may be impacted by the presence of a magnetic field. Once you have that answer (which is the hard part), just plug those newly-computed material properties into the second computation, i.e., the one for the scattering of an EM wave. I'll take a wild guess that these two computations can be done in series (i.e., they don't have to be coupled) and that the EM wave probably doesn't likewise change the material properties of the nano-sphere. But then, that's just a guess.

Well, you'll need to include whatever physics causes a gold nanosphere to exhibit magnetic properties. Is that even known? This is not my specialty, but some literature I found says it is some kind of room temperature quantum effect, e.g., see: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cphc.201200394/abstract http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/nr/c2nr30640a#!divAbstract https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229427051_Magnetism_in_Gold_Nanoparticles Anyway, assuming you actually succeed at understanding the physics behind (or at least find some PDE or rule to quantify) how gold exhibits material property changes when it is immersed in an externally applied magnetic field, then (and probably only then) you may be able to compute how the specific properties (epsilon, mu) within a gold nanosphere may be impacted by the presence of a magnetic field. Once you have that answer (which is the hard part), just plug those newly-computed material properties into the second computation, i.e., the one for the scattering of an EM wave. I'll take a wild guess that these two computations can be done in series (i.e., they don't have to be coupled) and that the EM wave probably doesn't likewise change the material properties of the nano-sphere. But then, that's just a guess.

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 8, 2017, 1:55 a.m. EDT
Dear Robert Koslover,

Thank you very much for your attention.
Yes of course the physics is slightly complicated.
In fact I found the result by using matlab code, specifically for the following paper.
dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl402394p| Nano Lett.2013, 13, 4785−4789
Circular Magnetoplasmonic Modes in Gold Nanoparticles

I want to do it with comsol and modify for some complicated structures .
Please have a look on it.

Thank you for your time.
Dear Robert Koslover, Thank you very much for your attention. Yes of course the physics is slightly complicated. In fact I found the result by using matlab code, specifically for the following paper. dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl402394p| Nano Lett.2013, 13, 4785−4789 Circular Magnetoplasmonic Modes in Gold Nanoparticles I want to do it with comsol and modify for some complicated structures . Please have a look on it. Thank you for your time.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.