Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reopening Temperature Effect on Eigenfrequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

Hello,

I've been searching for ways to apply a stress-dependent elastic modulus changing due to temperature variations to a time-dependent eigenfrequency study. Right now, I have a 3-step study:

1. Stationary solution with gravity to pre-stress the model,
  2. Time-dependent solution with a diurnal temperature input causing thermal stress and linear changes in the elastic modulus,
  3. Eigenfrequency (unsuccessful so far) - take the varying elastic modulus field and calculate the first three eigenfrequencies for each time step. I haven't been able to figure out how to input a time-varying solution as the initial solutions for the eigenfrequency calculation.

The archived discussion linked above appears to address this specific case with parametric sweeps. However, the link to the MPH file is now expired. Is there any way the link can be reactivated for download?

Thanks,

Paul Geimer

1 Reply Last Post Sep 21, 2017, 2:11 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 21, 2017, 2:11 p.m. EDT

To follow up, I'm looking for any suggestions on calculating eigenfrequencies at various times for an object that is being heated and cooled. Has anyone had success with this?

I am looking at using parametric sweeps of a dummy "time" variable to create a number of stationary solutions that can be fed into the eigenfrequency study. However, this seems to make it impossible to properly model thermal diffusion, which is critical for my analysis.

Thanks - Paul

To follow up, I'm looking for any suggestions on calculating eigenfrequencies at various times for an object that is being heated and cooled. Has anyone had success with this? I am looking at using parametric sweeps of a dummy "time" variable to create a number of stationary solutions that can be fed into the eigenfrequency study. However, this seems to make it impossible to properly model thermal diffusion, which is critical for my analysis. Thanks - Paul

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.