Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating Voltage, Using Boundary Integration, and Curl

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I'm trying to calculate the voltage difference between two sides of a cube in my model.

I've seen elsewhere (www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/909/) to use a line integral via the boundary integration tool. However, I'm confused on how to use this, because a boundary integral in comsol is two dimensional (dA), whereas a line integral is one dimensional (.dl).

My other option is to compute the surface integral of the curl of E via a boundary integral. However, I don't know how to compute the curl in comsol, since 'curl' isn't a defined function. Also, I could manually write out the curl, but I have no idea how to put it in vector form for comsol. I thought it'd be something like,

[Ezy - Eyz, Exz - Ezx, Eyx - Exy], or

(Ezy - Eyz)*e_x + ...,

but comsol gives me an error.

Any ideas?

1 Reply Last Post Jul 27, 2009, 5:05 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 27, 2009, 5:05 a.m. EDT
Use the boundary integration tool and divide the result by the width of the boundary. There is some info in the RF user guide on how Comsol calculates port voltages (p 122) . You can use that as a reference for your calculations.

greetz,

Maarten.
Use the boundary integration tool and divide the result by the width of the boundary. There is some info in the RF user guide on how Comsol calculates port voltages (p 122) . You can use that as a reference for your calculations. greetz, Maarten.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.