Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mems Structure in 2d

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I have build a structure in 2d using mems>> plane stress, Moving mesh (ale) and Mems>>elecrostaics modules. I am attaching the model to this discussion.Everytime i simulate the model i get the following error.

Exception:
com.femlab.jni.FlNativeException: Failed to evaluate expression
- Expression: diff(((FYg_smps*v_test)-(0))*(dvol),v_test)

Failed to evaluate variable
- Variable: FYg_smps
- Defined as: FY_smps

- Variable: FY_smps
- Defined as: Fex_nTy_emes

- Variable: Fex_nTy_emes
- Geometry: 1
- Dimension: 1
- Domain group: {131}

Stack trace:
at evaltree.cpp, row 757, ()
at evalnodes.cpp, row 754, ()
at evalnodes.cpp, row 754, ()
at xevalutil.cpp, row 2433, ()
at com.femlab.solver.FlSolver.femStatic(Native Method)
at com.femlab.solver.FemStatic.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.server.FlRunner.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.j.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.ae.run(Unknown Source)

Can anyone please help me out with this.

3 Replies Last Post Nov 14, 2009, 6:13 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 11, 2009, 5:12 p.m. EST
Hey,

I took a look at your model. There are 2 problems:

1. For the y direction forces in plane-strain boundary conditions, you mistyped and put "Fex_nTy_emes", when it should be "Fes_nTy_emes"

2. You need to check the box that says "Edge load is defined as Force/Area using thickness." The Maxwell Stress tensor generates the force in these units.

After these two changes your model should work.

By the way, you seem to have some unnecessary B.C.s in you model. For example you are applying forces to boundaries which you have already defined as fixed. It might help speed up your model to get rid of any of these unnecessary items.

Good Luck,

Mike
Hey, I took a look at your model. There are 2 problems: 1. For the y direction forces in plane-strain boundary conditions, you mistyped and put "Fex_nTy_emes", when it should be "Fes_nTy_emes" 2. You need to check the box that says "Edge load is defined as Force/Area using thickness." The Maxwell Stress tensor generates the force in these units. After these two changes your model should work. By the way, you seem to have some unnecessary B.C.s in you model. For example you are applying forces to boundaries which you have already defined as fixed. It might help speed up your model to get rid of any of these unnecessary items. Good Luck, Mike

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 11, 2009, 6:53 p.m. EST
Thank you. But now when i try to simulate it, the solution is not converging. I can see the following error.

================================================================================
Progress - Open Model: Wed Nov 11 18:36:52 EST 2009
================================================================================
Progress - Solve Problem: Wed Nov 11 18:37:38 EST 2009
fem.sol=femstatic(fem, ...
'solcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'}, ...
'outcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'});
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 136967
Unsymmetric matrix found.
Iter ErrEst Damping Stepsize #Res #Jac #Sol
1 1.1e+025 1.0000000 0.5 2 1 2
2 4.4 0.1000000 4.8 3 2 4
3 1.1 0.4315669 0.94 4 3 6
4 7.2 0.0136752 7.3 6 4 9

Error:
Failed to find a solution:
No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor.
Returned solution has not converged.

Progress - Solve Problem: Wed Nov 11 18:46:50 EST 2009
fem.sol=femstatic(fem, ...
'init',init, ...
'solcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'}, ...
'outcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'});
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 136967
Unsymmetric matrix found.
Iter ErrEst Damping Stepsize #Res #Jac #Sol
1 2.8e+025 1.0000000 0.54 2 1 2
2 4.4 0.1000000 4.8 3 2 4
3 1.1 0.4315627 0.94 4 3 6
4 7.2 0.0136771 7.3 6 4 9

Error:
Failed to find a solution:
No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor.
Returned solution has not converged.

I do not know the reason for this.
Thank you. But now when i try to simulate it, the solution is not converging. I can see the following error. ================================================================================ Progress - Open Model: Wed Nov 11 18:36:52 EST 2009 ================================================================================ ================================================================================ Progress - Solve Problem: Wed Nov 11 18:37:38 EST 2009 ================================================================================ fem.sol=femstatic(fem, ... 'solcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'}, ... 'outcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'}); -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 136967 Unsymmetric matrix found. Iter ErrEst Damping Stepsize #Res #Jac #Sol 1 1.1e+025 1.0000000 0.5 2 1 2 2 4.4 0.1000000 4.8 3 2 4 3 1.1 0.4315669 0.94 4 3 6 4 7.2 0.0136752 7.3 6 4 9 Error: Failed to find a solution: No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor. Returned solution has not converged. ================================================================================ Progress - Solve Problem: Wed Nov 11 18:46:50 EST 2009 ================================================================================ fem.sol=femstatic(fem, ... 'init',init, ... 'solcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'}, ... 'outcomp',{'lm4','lm3','v','u','V','y','x'}); -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 136967 Unsymmetric matrix found. Iter ErrEst Damping Stepsize #Res #Jac #Sol 1 2.8e+025 1.0000000 0.54 2 1 2 2 4.4 0.1000000 4.8 3 2 4 3 1.1 0.4315627 0.94 4 3 6 4 7.2 0.0136771 7.3 6 4 9 Error: Failed to find a solution: No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor. Returned solution has not converged. I do not know the reason for this.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2009, 6:13 a.m. EST
Hi

For me in addition to the comments aready given (I would also remove unnecesary boundaries and items) you have also to define the region for which the [ale] is active (air and not in the structure), as well as the [emes] same as the [ale]
Check carefully all BC to avoid double definitions, and do not foget to switch from physics to physcs (application mode) before setting sub-domain and boundary settings otherwisae you mix up things

Hope this helps, you have a nice model

Good luck
Ivar
Hi For me in addition to the comments aready given (I would also remove unnecesary boundaries and items) you have also to define the region for which the [ale] is active (air and not in the structure), as well as the [emes] same as the [ale] Check carefully all BC to avoid double definitions, and do not foget to switch from physics to physcs (application mode) before setting sub-domain and boundary settings otherwisae you mix up things Hope this helps, you have a nice model Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.