Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Literature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody, I'm trying to find a book FOR BEGINNERS about how to use COMSOL. I need a book with basic things and LOTS OF DEVELOPED EXAMPLE. Any suggestions? Is there any book you guys think I can start from?
I still don't have the last version of the software and I'm working with the 3.5 a Version of COMSOL Multyphysics, so I'd rather a book I can use with this version, if there's still any.

THANK YOU!

3 Replies Last Post Apr 16, 2011, 8:13 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 16, 2011, 4:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you are still with 3.5 the books of Zimmermann are good (i.e Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods), the one giving also step by step instruction is the one of Prior, but I find he is lacking math background (or links to) in his volume, so I so not like that much, but for beginners it's perhaps OK

see www.comsol.eu/support/books/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you are still with 3.5 the books of Zimmermann are good (i.e Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods), the one giving also step by step instruction is the one of Prior, but I find he is lacking math background (or links to) in his volume, so I so not like that much, but for beginners it's perhaps OK see http://www.comsol.eu/support/books/ -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 16, 2011, 8:01 a.m. EDT
We should also mention that COMSOL's own documentation includes dozens of tutorials with step-by-step instructions in the Model Libraries. You can access those manuals through the Help>Helpdesk menu. The theory is covered separately in the User's Guides.
We should also mention that COMSOL's own documentation includes dozens of tutorials with step-by-step instructions in the Model Libraries. You can access those manuals through the Help>Helpdesk menu. The theory is covered separately in the User's Guides.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 16, 2011, 8:13 a.m. EDT
Hi Jean-François

I agree fully , should have started from there ;)
Particularly the doc of 3.5a and again from 4.1 (and I'm putting higher expectation on the doc of 4.2 )

Anyhow, what I'm personally still missing, is some simple examples to describe the implicit notation used in COMSOL.

For those born with COMSOL, it's all natural, for us others with wide different experiences, catching up the COMSOL way is, I find, sometimes tougher than needed, then once understood, it's so obvious and simple :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Jean-François I agree fully , should have started from there ;) Particularly the doc of 3.5a and again from 4.1 (and I'm putting higher expectation on the doc of 4.2 ) Anyhow, what I'm personally still missing, is some simple examples to describe the implicit notation used in COMSOL. For those born with COMSOL, it's all natural, for us others with wide different experiences, catching up the COMSOL way is, I find, sometimes tougher than needed, then once understood, it's so obvious and simple :) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.