Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modal Analysis contact issues and Material specifications

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently working on a modal analysis of a pipe within a pipe. The modal is fairly simple, two long, concentric cylindrical pipes, constrained at the top, subject to only a body load.

My first issue is establishing contact pairs. I set it up so that the outside surface of the inner pipe is not able to cross through the inside surface of the outer pipe, yet, when I run the analysis I still get modes where the interior pipe passes through the exterior pipe. Any thought?

Also, I have another model of the same system, except for this time I place a small rubber seal in between the two pipes, close to the top. I can get the model to run if I keep all of the components the same material (i.e. model the seal as steel just like the two pipes) but, when I try to change the seal material to a rubber the model is not able to run giving an error:
Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix.
There are 30 equations giving NaN/Inf in the matrix rows for the variable mod1.u
at coordinates

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post Jun 16, 2011, 11:42 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Danielle Lower

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.