Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer in a Multilayered Pipe Containing Very Thin Layer of Coating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL experts,

I am using COMSOL 4.3a and I wish to find the Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient (OHTC) of a multilayered pipe. My pipe has two layers, the inner layer is steel with a thickness of 0.012 m, and the next layer is a very thin coating of protective material, with a thickness of 500 micrometers. Additionally, my pipe is fully buried underground, and I am using a model that treats the surrounding soil as an additional layer to the pipe, with a thickness of 1m. So all in all, I have three layers.

My issue is in the modeling stage. I can't build the model (I tried 2D and 3D) due to the very thin layer of coating. In the 2D scenario, the error message tells me that the minimal layer thickness is 0.00162m. In the 3D scenario, it's 0.00811m. Both of these numbers are higher then my 500 micrometers.

Any tips in dealing with this thin feature would be greatly appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post Aug 12, 2018, 3:15 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Majed Alhemyani

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.