Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Export boundary topography and relative simulated stresses

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

Recently, I have been struggling with something that I guess should be pretty straightforward.

I have a simple cubic component with one randomly rough face - so one boundary is a rough surface. To this component, I have applied a predescribed strain and some stresses generated. I would need to export a 4 columns file (.txt or any other file is ok) in which 3 of them are the x y and z coordinates of each point - they basically give me the surface topography - and the last column report the actual Von mises stress at each point.

Is there anybody out there who has a quick idea of how to do that? Thanks a lot.

Best, Marco

1 Reply Last Post Aug 16, 2018, 2:36 a.m. EDT
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Aug 16, 2018, 2:36 a.m. EDT
Updated: 6 years ago Aug 16, 2018, 2:37 a.m. EDT

I suggest that you try the following:

• Results > Export: Add a Data export feature.

• Choose the data set that you are interested in.

• Add the expression for the von Mises stress to the Expression table. It's typically solid.mises for a structural mechanics model.

• Change Geometry level to Surface.

• Set the Filename.

• Click on Export.

If you're only interested in the stresses on one single face, you can add a selection to the data set.

I suggest that you try the following: - Results > Export: Add a Data export feature. - Choose the data set that you are interested in. - Add the expression for the von Mises stress to the Expression table. It's typically solid.mises for a structural mechanics model. - Change Geometry level to Surface. - Set the Filename. - Click on Export. If you're only interested in the stresses on one single face, you can add a selection to the data set.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.