Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

pulse laser model using the function flc2hs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone, I’m studying (totally a strange one) the COMSOL to model the pulse laser, I have searched some useful models and tips from this web, but when I try to build the model myself, it seem to a big challenge. One of the problems is about the function flc2hs.
The parameter in the function flc2hs (t-start point, the width of transition), the actual definition of the second term in the bracket, I just call it like this temporarily because it presents the slope/width of the transition. But the different value of the two parameters presents various photogram, just illustrated as follow:

When the function:

1. flc2hs(t-5e-1,1e-14)-flc2hs(t-8e-1,1e-14)

2. flc2hs(t-5e-2,1e-14)-flc2hs(t-8e-2,1e-14)

3. flc2hs(t-5e-9,1e-14)-flc2hs(t-8e-9,1e-14)

When the start point is becoming smaller, the pulse (the y data are 1) is less evident and finally disappear to present a horizontal line (all the y data are zero). How do I should do to obtain the pulse using this function?
Thanks to all in advance.

sorry it seems that i can't attach the photos.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 10, 2011, 11:15 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 28, 2011, 4:28 a.m. EDT
Hi

in V4 you have the functions predefined as step or pulse, and you can combine those, and plot them beforehand rapidly ;)

if you then solve in temporal, do not forget to use strict or intermediate time stepping with a time step that resolves with a few points each ramp region, otherwise the "automatic" stepping timer will most probably jump over your pulses

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in V4 you have the functions predefined as step or pulse, and you can combine those, and plot them beforehand rapidly ;) if you then solve in temporal, do not forget to use strict or intermediate time stepping with a time step that resolves with a few points each ramp region, otherwise the "automatic" stepping timer will most probably jump over your pulses -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2011, 11:15 a.m. EDT
thanks very much, I just plot it to test if it's right.
thanks very much, I just plot it to test if it's right.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.