Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Acoustic Module Import

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, all, thanks for reading this.

I have a few questions about importing mesh files, and how they differ from the import of geometry files. Is it possible in COMSOL to import a mesh file, and set the nodes as pressure generator points? I am doing a bit of preliminary research for the lab I work at. Unfortunately, my experience is mostly geared in CFD research, so I apologize if this question seems unintelligent.

I use ANSYS ICEM CFD to manipulate/repair meshes I create in Mimics, but something I found is that once I take the mesh into Ansys, the only exportable mesh file I can bring into COMSOL is a NASTRAN file. In short, once I export I export as a mesh file, not a geometry file. This means I lose the ability to set nodes as the pressure generator points in COMSOL.

This brings me to a second question. Something I have been working with to rectify this is to set the entire surface boundary as a pressure generator. Would the results of the simulation be significantly different if I use the face elements (i.e. the 2-D surface elements) as the pressure generators, as opposed to the nodes on the surface? The way I was instructed was to use the nodes, but I wanted to explore the possibility.

Thanks for your help with this, this forum is exactly what I need.

0 Replies Last Post Oct 10, 2011, 3:36 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Brian Henry

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.