Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

helix with rectangular cross section.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello

I need to know how to make a helical ribbon with rectangular cross-section.

thanks

10 Replies Last Post Mar 27, 2017, 4:48 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 10:32 p.m. EDT
Hi Jason:

Is this what you want? I made it by sweep a rectangle with a helix. If yes, I can upload the model.
Hi Jason: Is this what you want? I made it by sweep a rectangle with a helix. If yes, I can upload the model.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 11:27 p.m. EDT
yes, is exactly that I need.
yes, is exactly that I need.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 11:38 p.m. EDT
thanks
thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2011, 3:22 p.m. EST
ohh!

I have a problem, I get the following message: "model created with a later version of comsol"

could you tell me how to make the helix? have you any tutorial?

ohh! I have a problem, I get the following message: "model created with a later version of comsol" could you tell me how to make the helix? have you any tutorial?

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2011, 8:32 p.m. EST
Sorry for that. Below is how I made it.

First is create a rectangular in a work plane.
Second, make a parametric curve to represent the helix curve, like (cos(4*s),sin(4*s),s).
Last, sweep the rectangular with parametric curve. Pay attention to uncheck the "twist compensation".
Sorry for that. Below is how I made it. First is create a rectangular in a work plane. Second, make a parametric curve to represent the helix curve, like (cos(4*s),sin(4*s),s). Last, sweep the rectangular with parametric curve. Pay attention to uncheck the "twist compensation".

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2011, 9:37 p.m. EST
Hi vincent

your explanation was very successful, check it.

But I have other problem, i cant do difference between a cylinder and the agitator because disappears the figure.
I tried make a difference with each element and I realized that it can be for the sweep. I m not sure, have you any idea.

Thanks

P.D: Im doing a reactor and i want use rotating machinery model
Hi vincent your explanation was very successful, check it. But I have other problem, i cant do difference between a cylinder and the agitator because disappears the figure. I tried make a difference with each element and I realized that it can be for the sweep. I m not sure, have you any idea. Thanks P.D: Im doing a reactor and i want use rotating machinery model

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 p.m. EST
I am having the same issue. Anytime I perform Boolean operations on an object created with sweep I get funny results - I think the surface normals are getting reversed on some of the faces. I sent a message into support, I'll post any fixes they are able to suggest.
I am having the same issue. Anytime I perform Boolean operations on an object created with sweep I get funny results - I think the surface normals are getting reversed on some of the faces. I sent a message into support, I'll post any fixes they are able to suggest.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2011, 7:39 p.m. EST
Im worried, I need it for finished my thesis.....Bad
Im worried, I need it for finished my thesis.....Bad

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 18, 2012, 7:51 a.m. EST
Guys, have you solved the problem? If so, can you please post the solution?

Thanks..
Guys, have you solved the problem? If so, can you please post the solution? Thanks..

Jose Bellosta von Colbe

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 27, 2017, 4:48 a.m. EDT
Sorry to bother you with this; the posting is quite old but it is exactly what I need. However, I don't seem to get exactly the same in 5.2a as the image 123.png posted here. Would you mind posting a more detailed explanation on how to sweep the rectangle to get the helix and with which parameters you did it? I am a complete newbie and still have problems with basic things; sorry.

Thanks in advance,
Sorry to bother you with this; the posting is quite old but it is exactly what I need. However, I don't seem to get exactly the same in 5.2a as the image 123.png posted here. Would you mind posting a more detailed explanation on how to sweep the rectangle to get the helix and with which parameters you did it? I am a complete newbie and still have problems with basic things; sorry. Thanks in advance,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.