Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry visualization resolution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model a geolocated problem. As such, one of the elements of my geometry is a 1m diameter tube, which is located around y coordinate 4E6. This contrast in coordinate and geometry size causes my cilinders to look jagged and artifacty, even when selecting a "Fine" resolution for visualization. My mesh also appears to have artifacts around these features, but the mesh quality shows that it really is just a visual effect.

Any way to configure COMSOL's renderer to an even finer resolution?

1 Reply Last Post Oct 11, 2019, 7:01 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 11, 2019, 7:01 a.m. EDT

I didn't find a way to improve the resolution of the graphical interface, but I found out some things. I'll leave them here in case someone stumbles upon this post when working with georeferenced data in COMSOL.

1. The artifcacts are only a visualization problem. Your problem will yield the same results as if the visualization was working fine.
  2. Try working in local coordinates. Take your minimum x and y coordinates. Use the 'move' operation to displace you whole geometry to local coordinates, by substracting your x and y on that move operation (z too if applicable). Your geometry will have the correct appearance now.
  3. If you later want to georeference your results, you just need to add the x and y you previously substracted, and there you go, you can get both COMSOL's visualizations working right and your geolocated data.
I didn't find a way to improve the resolution of the graphical interface, but I found out some things. I'll leave them here in case someone stumbles upon this post when working with georeferenced data in COMSOL. 1. The artifcacts are only a visualization problem. Your problem will yield the same results as if the visualization was working fine. 2. Try working in local coordinates. Take your minimum x and y coordinates. Use the 'move' operation to displace you whole geometry to local coordinates, by substracting your x and y on that move operation (z too if applicable). Your geometry will have the correct appearance now. 3. If you later want to georeference your results, you just need to add the x and y you previously substracted, and there you go, you can get both COMSOL's visualizations working right and your geolocated data.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.