Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation of one domain into another

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model the flow of an ice deposit on top of a fixed rocky unit using solid mechanics creep (attached). The base of the ice is fixed to the rock and material above the base moves outward, extending the boundary between the domains and making the scarp at the end shallower. If the model is run long enough (>2800 yr) the ice domain deforms to the point where it goes beneath the surface of the rocky domain (see attached figure). Clearly, this isn't realistic. How can this be prevented? Can you set the boundary between the two domains to always be fixed even as the boundary extends? I've thought of using a contact pair, but I'm not sure that this is the correct approach since the original base of the ice isn't ever moving with respect to the rock (I also haven't been able to get a solution using contact pairs yet).

1 Reply Last Post Mar 6, 2020, 8:23 p.m. EST
David Kan COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 6, 2020, 8:23 p.m. EST

Hi Claire! I noticed you haven't gotten a reply yet. I highly encourage you to submit a new support case at our portal: www.comsol.com/support. One of the COMSOL Application Engineers will get back to you in a timely way.

Hi Claire! I noticed you haven't gotten a reply yet. I highly encourage you to submit a new support case at our portal: www.comsol.com/support. One of the COMSOL Application Engineers will get back to you in a timely way.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.