Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple plate bending 3D - local bending moment

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have modelled a plate in 3D with a pressure load and some boundary conditions. I want to find the bending moment in the global X and Y directions. When I go to evaluate the results I find that there are 6 quanitites from which I can choose from. My question is what does the following corresponds to in terms of the global coordinate system:

Local bending moment, 11 component Local bending moment, 12 component Local bending moment, 13 component

and so on?

I have also noticed that it says local bending moment, but the unit is N, how come? As you can tell I am a beginner with using COMSOL.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 9, 2020, 2:24 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 1, 2020, 2:13 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Sep 1, 2020, 2:13 a.m. EDT

As long as you have not changed to a local coordinate system explicitly (in the Linear Elastic Material) the local directions will coincide with the global directions.

The unit for a plate bending moment is Nm/m, or equivalently N.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
As long as you have not changed to a local coordinate system explicitly (in the Linear Elastic Material) the local directions will coincide with the global directions. The unit for a plate bending moment is Nm/m, or equivalently N.

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 8, 2020, 5:25 a.m. EDT

I have not changed any coordinate system. So Local beding component 11 correspond to the bending around the X-axis or the y-axis?

I have not changed any coordinate system. So Local beding component 11 correspond to the bending around the X-axis or the y-axis?

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 9, 2020, 2:24 a.m. EDT

The indices correspond to the stress component that causes this moment (or other section force). Thus, Ml11 will be bending around the Y-axis, while Nl11 will be a membrane force (which is zero in a linear plate bending problem) in the X-direction.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The indices correspond to the stress component that causes this moment (or other section force). Thus, Ml11 will be bending around the Y-axis, while Nl11 will be a membrane force (which is zero in a linear plate bending problem) in the X-direction.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.