Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why Eigenfrequency in Structure mechanics is imaginary?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I made Ni microcantilever (lwt=225micrometer28micrometer10nanometer). and the end of left side was contrained. Theoretically, Ni cantilever with 10nm thickness resonate near 150Hz.. but comsol results give imaginary term..

Mesh is extremely fine, So i think mesh doesn't matter I think i don't miss any constraint.. Please help me..

1 Reply Last Post Dec 18, 2020, 11:34 a.m. EST
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Dec 18, 2020, 11:34 a.m. EST

Either the imaginary part is very small, in which case it is a numerical artifact; or it is physically significant and is due to dissipation or energy loss in the model.

Either the imaginary part is very small, in which case it is a numerical artifact; or it is physically significant and is due to dissipation or energy loss in the model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.