Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid Mechanics Thermal Expansions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL Support,

I’m working on a Solid Mechanics project involving a thermally deformed 2D cantilever. I have introduced a reference temperature of 393.15 K (~20 C), and an elevated temperature of 273.15 K (~100 C).

Under the Solid Mechanics section of my component, I have declared my solid to be a Linear Elastic Material, and have added a Thermal Expansion to it. I have added a Fixed Constraint to one edge (boundary) of the cantilever. Under this Fixed Constraint, I have also added Thermal Expansion such that the constraint is allowed to expand in one direction and prevent additional stress along that direction. I’m using aluminum as my material with a coef. of thermal expansion of 2.3E-5.

My first question pertains to analysis of the logarithmic strain component in the x direction (true strain). Using the expression [alpha*(Televated-Tref)], I would expect a true strain value of 1.84E-3. Instead, I am looking at ~2.45E-3 on my strain results surface (see COMSOL model), for most of the x direction.

My second question involves the thermal expansion of my fixed constraint. Despite adding this thermal expansion to the fixed boundary, why do I still see additional stresses and strains near the x=0 boundary in my surface plots? Is there something I am missing in the Linear Elastic Material equation formulations that is pre-straining the solid?

Thanks, Ben

Screenshot Link

0 Replies Last Post Dec 29, 2020, 1:49 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ben Frey

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.