Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Updating a Geometry during solution - physics driven phase change

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

So here's what I'm trying to do:

Imagine a volume where you inject, using a probabilistic model and a coupled physics (temperature field in my case) defects or "bubbles" inside a material matrix.

Once injected the bubbles then grow, driven by a force.

At every new time step of the study, the geometry should be updated, injecting in a semi-stochastic fashion new bubbles.

To define the problem : I am trying to simulate the germination and growth rate of phase change in a phase change material. I currently have 2 issues:

1. I need to inject "seed" nano-clusters inside my material matrix that will act as the starting point of my new phase growth
  2. The only way I found to "realistically" inject nano-clusters is by this tutorial that uses application builder and java. I work in linux cluster --> No app builder or java available in comsol. Can I code somewhere else and send my files to comsol for "interpretation" ? I get inspired from this: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-create-a-randomized-geometry-using-model-methods/

Following the injection of the clusters, the level set method can be solved using either CFD or mathematics interface, but since germination and growth are happening at the same time, I need to initialize my clusters for level set to deform later AND inject new ones during simulation time.

Does anyone have any ideas ? Is there a method /module more suited ?

Thanks in advance, Marios

0 Replies Last Post Jun 12, 2021, 5:18 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marios Barlas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.