Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Liquid interaction with piezo-substrate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to simulate the surface acoustic wave (SAW) liquid sensor, where liquid is placed between input IDT and output IDT. I use Piezo solid and Incompressible Navier-stokes application modes. According to theory I gave no slip boundary condition between liquid and piezo substrate, continuity in piezo solid interface, and top boundary as open boundary in Navier Stoke. As per theory, the change in density will cause the change in output response (like displacement, frequency, or electric potential) of the SAW sensor. But when I simulate, it does not occur. Kindly suggest the way to rid of this problem.
Is there any other way to interface liquid with acoustic vibrations in COMSOL?
Thanking you

3 Replies Last Post Jun 13, 2012, 4:06 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2012, 2:37 a.m. EDT
Hi

are you using the ALE to couple the defomation from structural to liquid ?
I do not have the acoustic module so I do not know what they have therein, but if you work from the solid fluid side, I suppose FSI would be adapted for your description

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you using the ALE to couple the defomation from structural to liquid ? I do not have the acoustic module so I do not know what they have therein, but if you work from the solid fluid side, I suppose FSI would be adapted for your description -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2012, 3:44 a.m. EDT
Hi,
I checked with ALE but it is giving error. I use MEMS module and on that piezo solid and Incompressible Navier stokes.
Hi, I checked with ALE but it is giving error. I use MEMS module and on that piezo solid and Incompressible Navier stokes.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2012, 4:06 a.m. EDT
Hi

but you need to couple the structural dformation onto the fluid domain, how do you achieve this without the ALE ?
FSI combines everything "pre-cooked"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but you need to couple the structural dformation onto the fluid domain, how do you achieve this without the ALE ? FSI combines everything "pre-cooked" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.