Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to pause COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was wondering how do we pause COMSOL to do computation. When the computation seems to take a very long time, I want to examine the results to make a judgement if it would be better to continue the computation. Or sometimes I just want to pause the computation, shut down the PC and then come back to continue the computation later.

How to do that?

Thank you.

Atit

1 Reply Last Post Jun 15, 2012, 2:14 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 15, 2012, 2:14 p.m. EDT
Hi

I do not know how to pause on demand, but you have some options to stop when certain conditions occure (advanced olver options) probably a restart will continue, if you havent changed something in the model, to control if the solver is doing well, I turn on "plot while solving" and add a few probe plots to monitor critical parameters to be able to say, now we re diverging, lets stop.
Often some of the results are still valid, the only thing I'm missing is the possibility to clear just the last item of a parameter sweep, the one interrupted as often it's wild wrong and that it is messing up in the automatic scale for all the other results

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not know how to pause on demand, but you have some options to stop when certain conditions occure (advanced olver options) probably a restart will continue, if you havent changed something in the model, to control if the solver is doing well, I turn on "plot while solving" and add a few probe plots to monitor critical parameters to be able to say, now we re diverging, lets stop. Often some of the results are still valid, the only thing I'm missing is the possibility to clear just the last item of a parameter sweep, the one interrupted as often it's wild wrong and that it is messing up in the automatic scale for all the other results -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.