Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Optimize for time spread of particles hitting an accumulator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using the charged particle tracing module and an accumulator to count how many particles hit a certain area during the simulation. Then I use the comp1.cpt.wall4.bacc1.rpb_sum expression as my objective function to optimize for the most particle hits, and this works well.

I can also post-process the data to see the accumulator value at all time steps, and calculate the time spread (time difference between when the first and last particle hits) as well as the full-width half-max time.

Now I also want to optimize the model for minimum time spread. How can I calculate/express this as an objective function?

I read the section in the Particle Tracing Module user guide about auxilary variables and residence time (Ch 2). I think it's close to what I want but I don't know how to use it to calculate something like time spread for the specific accumulator.

Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post Oct 25, 2021, 7:04 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tian Ooi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.