Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Impact of initial stress induced deformation on eigenfrequencies

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

working with COMSOL 4.1 I am trying to solve the problem of the initial stress/strain induced deformation in the unimorph bridges.

Doubly calmped rectangular beam consists of three layers:
1. doped semicondoctur (top electrode)
2. piezoelectric layer
3. metall layer (bottom electrode)

The aim is to look what is the dependence of the eigenfrequencies upon changes of the compressive strain in the thick top electrode.

I am following the procedure described below

1. I am taking the Piezoelectric Devices model
2. I am defining Initial Stress & Strain (in-plane, isotropic) in the Linear Elastic Material Model applied
to the top and bottom electrodes (piezoelectric in pzd. model remains unstressed)
s0 =
|144e6 0 0|
|0 144e6 0|
|0 0 0|
3. In Stationary Study I am getting the deformation defined by pre-stress
4. In the same Study I am performing the calculations of Eigenfrequencies
and see no changes comparing to the non-prestressed case.

Is it bug, or I did something wrong?
From experiments and analytical calculations I know the results. The shift is enourmous.
Unfortunatelly, the formulas are not quite applicable in the case of more complex geometries.

Can anybody give me an advice? I would be very thankful indeed.

the model file is attached

Regards, Vadim

0 Replies Last Post Jul 6, 2012, 9:32 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vadim Lebedev

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.