Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

boundary layers and sweeping a mesh issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,
I am having trouble with a swept mesh. I have a rectangular geometry in my model. I generated it using a rectangle and then extruding a workplane through it. I can generate a swept mesh from the top layer to the bottom layer without issue, however, I am having trouble generating boundary layers. I would like to generate multiple boundary layers throughout my model space from the top layer at depths of 1 km, 2 km, 3 km, 4 km, 5 km, 10 km, 15 km, 20 km.

I thought I could do this with multiple boundary layer nodes, but COMSOL does not like this and will only draw my first boundary layers (5 layers each at 1 km spacing) when I do this.

I then changed how I created my geometry and used a block model instead. Using the block, I was able to create the specific layers I wanted. I then created a workplane with the necessary geometry and extruded this through the block. All of this worked great. Now however, I get errors when I try to sweep my mesh from the surface to the bottom boundary layers.
"Mesh on source and destination edge do not match."
Of course, my destination faces have no mesh on them to begin with.

So basically I just need to be able to have a swept mesh AND have boundary layers that are at different depths throughout my geometry.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can send my model if it helps.

Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post Jul 6, 2012, 4:03 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Monica Wolfson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.