Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Internal faces in 3D coil obtained from 2D axisymmetric problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to see in 3D, results of my original problem which was 2D axisymmetric circular coils problem. I have imported geometry and revolved it in 3D model. Now, problem is I want to excite any one coil and there are no internal faces in 3D model where I can apply current input. The same as we get when we use torus in 3D and turn on its internal faces and apply input to any face. Can anyone tell me which settings I have to look into to get internal faces in 3D coil? or any other way to excite coil so that current flows in a circular coil with uniform current density? I specifically want to excite at any face not at boundary. I have attached my 3D model too. Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2023, 6:03 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 17, 2023, 11:16 a.m. EDT

You can do this by adding a revolve dataset to your existing 2D axisymmetric model... no need to use a separate 3D component

You can do this by adding a revolve dataset to your existing 2D axisymmetric model... no need to use a separate 3D component

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 18, 2023, 12:33 p.m. EDT

Thanks Mark I have done the same. Now, I couldn't cut the 3D revolved geometry to see its internal faces, edges, boundaries and get plots/values at certain points. How can I do this?

Regards

>You can do this by adding a revolve dataset to your existing 2D axisymmetric model... no need to use a separate 3D component Thanks Mark I have done the same. Now, I couldn't cut the 3D revolved geometry to see its internal faces, edges, boundaries and get plots/values at certain points. How can I do this? Regards

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 19, 2023, 6:03 a.m. EDT

Maybe the attached will help (v 6.1 model).

You can use the revolve dataset settings to cut your model as specified angles of rotation, and the annotation plot can be used in the revolve dataset to determine field valus at any 3D point.

Maybe the attached will help (v 6.1 model). You can use the revolve dataset settings to cut your model as specified angles of rotation, and the annotation plot can be used in the revolve dataset to determine field valus at any 3D point.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.