Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation of a pillar in stationnary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to see the deformation of a pillar when I apply both tangential and transverse force. Usually bending of a pillar is only calculated for tangential forces. I am trying to quantify the marginal effect of transverse force. I will imagine that when we bend the pillar and then we apply vertical force I will amplifiy the bending and that it should be non-linear.

I run simulation with a simple pillar with a fixed constrain on the bottom and I apply a force (vertical and horizontal) on the top surface. Simulation predict the opposite. Furthermore I don't observe buckling that normally appear at high vertical force.

I believe the problem is in the initial condition. As the pillar is initialy straight, when I apply the vertical force the pillar get compressed instead of being bent under vertical force. I tried to do simulation in 2 step: first applying the horizontal force and then applying both the vertical and horizontal force. But It does not solve my problem. I join my MPH model

0 Replies Last Post Oct 17, 2023, 9:34 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vincent Mansard

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.