Singular matrix in solid mechanics_MEMS Accelerometer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm Jeff, a beginner of COMSOL.

I am designing the comb-drive capacitive accelerometer, but when COMSOL computes the Study - Stationary, it shows the error message:

*Failed to find a solution. Solid Mechanics Singular matrix.

There are 21372 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable comp2.u. There are 21372 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable comp2.v. There are 21372 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable comp2.w. and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix). In Solid Mechanics: Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned.

I can't figure out what's the problem and how to solve it. Does anyone know how to solve it or have suggestions?

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post Feb 7, 2024, 9:17 a.m. EST
Mark Cops COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 months ago Feb 7, 2024, 9:17 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 months ago Feb 7, 2024, 9:17 a.m. EST

Hi Jeff,

Mesh 2 in Component 2 is only a triangular mesh on the surface. Since you are solving Solid Mechanics on specific domains, those entire domains need to be meshed (ex: with Free Tetrahedral elements or Swept mesh if applicable).

Best,

-Mark

Hi Jeff, Mesh 2 in Component 2 is only a triangular mesh on the surface. Since you are solving Solid Mechanics on specific domains, those entire domains need to be meshed (ex: with Free Tetrahedral elements or Swept mesh if applicable). Best, -Mark

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.