Help with Ice simulation project

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Comsol and would like help on a project. As the title entails, we want to simulate ice adhesion on a surface. Basically, in the lab, we would freeze water over a surface (acrylic in this scenario) in a cuvette and once the ice is formed we have a force probe on a linear stage to separate the two surfaces while recording the applied force.

The only physics that I considered was solid mechanics, 3D analysis, and stationary study is used. The geometry and contact of the ice and acrylic are figured out, the issue we have is with adhesion and decohesion. What we want is a variable boundary force acting on the ice block, then the ice would separate from the acrylic surface and the simulation would stop. After looking at decohesion settings in Comsol, we see that we need shear strength and shear energy release for this simulation to work. Is it possible to instead solve for these two? Otherwise, any recommendations to go about this? Let me know if additional information is needed. Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Feb 20, 2024, 5:24 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fred Flores

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.