Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Sir,

While meshing my model, I am getting an error message as follows "Out of memory for mesh processing". What does that error mean and what are the correction requirements??

5 Replies Last Post Jan 29, 2013, 9:22 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2013, 1:45 a.m. EST
Hi

basically either get more RAM, or reduce the mesh density: use symmetry (model 1/2 or 1/4 ... if possible), use 2D instead of 3D. Even if simplifications by symmetry is not always possible, often one can simplify the geometry, but this require some "engineering" insight in the solution to decide what is or not relevant.
with my 48GB of RAM I can solve problems of 2-4 MDoF but there are many DoF per element, all depends on the physics and discretisation being used

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi basically either get more RAM, or reduce the mesh density: use symmetry (model 1/2 or 1/4 ... if possible), use 2D instead of 3D. Even if simplifications by symmetry is not always possible, often one can simplify the geometry, but this require some "engineering" insight in the solution to decide what is or not relevant. with my 48GB of RAM I can solve problems of 2-4 MDoF but there are many DoF per element, all depends on the physics and discretisation being used -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2013, 3:23 a.m. EST

Hi

basically either get more RAM, or reduce the mesh density: use symmetry (model 1/2 or 1/4 ... if possible), use 2D instead of 3D. Even if simplifications by symmetry is not always possible, often one can simplify the geometry, but this require some "engineering" insight in the solution to decide what is or not relevant.
with my 48GB of RAM I can solve problems of 2-4 MDoF but there are many DoF per element, all depends on the physics and discretisation being used

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank You Ivar...

I am currently working with 2GB RAM. I suppose that I can try with 4GB RAM!
[QUOTE] Hi basically either get more RAM, or reduce the mesh density: use symmetry (model 1/2 or 1/4 ... if possible), use 2D instead of 3D. Even if simplifications by symmetry is not always possible, often one can simplify the geometry, but this require some "engineering" insight in the solution to decide what is or not relevant. with my 48GB of RAM I can solve problems of 2-4 MDoF but there are many DoF per element, all depends on the physics and discretisation being used -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank You Ivar... I am currently working with 2GB RAM. I suppose that I can try with 4GB RAM!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2013, 7:17 a.m. EST

If you are using a 32 bit Windows system a single process cannot use more than 2 GB RAM. You can set the /3GB switch in win.ini I think. But 3GB is then the limit. I tried that once and it made my PC instable.
If you want to use more RAM you must switch to a 64 bit system.

Cheers
Edgar
If you are using a 32 bit Windows system a single process cannot use more than 2 GB RAM. You can set the /3GB switch in win.ini I think. But 3GB is then the limit. I tried that once and it made my PC instable. If you want to use more RAM you must switch to a 64 bit system. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2013, 7:29 a.m. EST

If you are using a 32 bit Windows system a single process cannot use more than 2 GB RAM. You can set the /3GB switch in win.ini I think. But 3GB is then the limit. I tried that once and it made my PC instable.
If you want to use more RAM you must switch to a 64 bit system.

Cheers
Edgar

Thanks Edgar...

Is it possible to open a file (made in COMSOL 4.3a installation compatible with 32 bit) on 62 bit installation??
[QUOTE] If you are using a 32 bit Windows system a single process cannot use more than 2 GB RAM. You can set the /3GB switch in win.ini I think. But 3GB is then the limit. I tried that once and it made my PC instable. If you want to use more RAM you must switch to a 64 bit system. Cheers Edgar [/QUOTE] Thanks Edgar... Is it possible to open a file (made in COMSOL 4.3a installation compatible with 32 bit) on 62 bit installation??

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2013, 9:22 a.m. EST
Yes, that is no problem.
Yes, that is no problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.