Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boolean operation - Intersection

celina0330 celina0330

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I found something odd with the 'intersection' operation in COMSOL. Yesterday I accidently picked up two geometry objects, that had no intersection at all, and then I clicked the 'intersection' button in draw toolbar. I thought a dialog box would appear and tell me 'Operation resulted in empty geometry object' just like before. But NO. It ended up deleting one object with no error, meaning the intersection operation resulted the other object left. I was 100% sure those two geometry objects had absolutely no intersection. And then I tried different set of two objects with no intersection. Some ended up empty, some still produced no error message and had one object left.

Did anybody met the same problem before? If so, what would be a possible reason to explain that?

6 Replies Last Post Feb 16, 2010, 11:37 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 12, 2009, 7:47 p.m. EDT
Hi

are you sure you didn't click the "difference" button ?

for me in V3.5a the intersection of two geometries not overlapping say's "operation results in empty geometry", but if you select the "difference" A-B then B dissapears if they do not intersect (in fact it always dissapears it's what you are asking for no ?).

To leave it there, the trick is to do a Control-C and Contorl-V to duplicate the object first, then you take the difference,

Note also that if you select carefully your geometries, in the desired order, and then hit the (+/-*) button (to manually check what you are doing, not going for the "quick buttons) it reorders your selection and proposes union (+) as default, you have to order them with this window open if you want to do a "difference (- operation)

Agee ?

Ivar
Hi are you sure you didn't click the "difference" button ? for me in V3.5a the intersection of two geometries not overlapping say's "operation results in empty geometry", but if you select the "difference" A-B then B dissapears if they do not intersect (in fact it always dissapears it's what you are asking for no ?). To leave it there, the trick is to do a Control-C and Contorl-V to duplicate the object first, then you take the difference, Note also that if you select carefully your geometries, in the desired order, and then hit the (+/-*) button (to manually check what you are doing, not going for the "quick buttons) it reorders your selection and proposes union (+) as default, you have to order them with this window open if you want to do a "difference (- operation) Agee ? Ivar

celina0330 celina0330

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 13, 2009, 10:37 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thank you for your reply. I just double checked, and I am now pretty sure that I did click the 'intersection', not 'difference'. Even I do the intersection operation by hit the (+/-*) as you suggested, the same thing happens.

I attached two images to show how that happened.

celina
Hi Ivar, Thank you for your reply. I just double checked, and I am now pretty sure that I did click the 'intersection', not 'difference'. Even I do the intersection operation by hit the (+/-*) as you suggested, the same thing happens. I attached two images to show how that happened. celina

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 13, 2009, 10:54 a.m. EDT
hello

Well I tried before in 2D, did it again in 3D on a PC with V3.5a:

Intersection: BLK1*BLK2 when they do not intersect gives an error message resulting in empty geometry

when the volumes intersect I get the intersection as expected

Difference: BLK1-BLK2 when they do not intersect leaves only BLK1 (BLK2 dissapears)

when they intersect I get the difference (but the rest dissapears in this case BLK2 as above)

For me this is very logical.

From your images, are you using a mac ? or unix ?
there might be an issue there, or on the keyboard mapping ?

I would propoe to pass by COMSOL support, by documenting carefully (images plus fomulas, even screen snip/dumps of the fomulas, that helps. Do not forget to give them version and OS

Good Luck
Ivar
hello Well I tried before in 2D, did it again in 3D on a PC with V3.5a: Intersection: BLK1*BLK2 when they do not intersect gives an error message resulting in empty geometry when the volumes intersect I get the intersection as expected Difference: BLK1-BLK2 when they do not intersect leaves only BLK1 (BLK2 dissapears) when they intersect I get the difference (but the rest dissapears in this case BLK2 as above) For me this is very logical. From your images, are you using a mac ? or unix ? there might be an issue there, or on the keyboard mapping ? I would propoe to pass by COMSOL support, by documenting carefully (images plus fomulas, even screen snip/dumps of the fomulas, that helps. Do not forget to give them version and OS Good Luck Ivar

celina0330 celina0330

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 13, 2009, 11:44 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

The OS question is a really good call. I was using Mac, but I just tried the same operation on the same geometry objects in Windows, no problem at all. And yes I am using V3.5a

Celina
Hi Ivar, The OS question is a really good call. I was using Mac, but I just tried the same operation on the same geometry objects in Windows, no problem at all. And yes I am using V3.5a Celina

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 14, 2009, 3:13 a.m. EDT
Hi there

Well then I would really suggest to inform COMSOL support as they should know such thing rapidly to improve it, ther could be other things related, and certanly several other having surprises.

By helping them improve the programme you are also helping us all end users (I'm not at all COMSOL, but a happy user) to get ane ven better product.

And I'm nut sure COMSOL is really following each discussion herein to tha last detail

I wish you some interesting simuations
Ivar
Hi there Well then I would really suggest to inform COMSOL support as they should know such thing rapidly to improve it, ther could be other things related, and certanly several other having surprises. By helping them improve the programme you are also helping us all end users (I'm not at all COMSOL, but a happy user) to get ane ven better product. And I'm nut sure COMSOL is really following each discussion herein to tha last detail I wish you some interesting simuations Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2010, 11:37 p.m. EST
I too noticed some weird thing about intersection operation in COMSOL. I have two cylindrical objects of same diameter but different heights, created using COMSOL. The geometry is such that smaller object is imbedded The smaller object is completely solid but with a concave shape top face. The taller object has circular holes. The idea here is to create a lightweighted telescope mirror with undercut circular/triangular hole. The intersection of the two geometries should give me the desired object. When both objects are selected (Ctr+A), the intersection operation results in a composite object without removing the parts that are not common to both. For strange reasons, the result of 'intersection' is 'union'. If I try to take the 'difference' I get the error message 'operation resulted in empty geometry object'. Same time both objects also remain intact. That is somewhat puzzling. Did any one come across such a thing? There are some discussions about intersection on the forum. But that is little different.

Thanks,
-Ravinder
I too noticed some weird thing about intersection operation in COMSOL. I have two cylindrical objects of same diameter but different heights, created using COMSOL. The geometry is such that smaller object is imbedded The smaller object is completely solid but with a concave shape top face. The taller object has circular holes. The idea here is to create a lightweighted telescope mirror with undercut circular/triangular hole. The intersection of the two geometries should give me the desired object. When both objects are selected (Ctr+A), the intersection operation results in a composite object without removing the parts that are not common to both. For strange reasons, the result of 'intersection' is 'union'. If I try to take the 'difference' I get the error message 'operation resulted in empty geometry object'. Same time both objects also remain intact. That is somewhat puzzling. Did any one come across such a thing? There are some discussions about intersection on the forum. But that is little different. Thanks, -Ravinder

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.