Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic Forces on a magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am doing a simple Electromagnetic Force modeling but can't do it right!

In my model, a magnet is nearby a long straight current wire (DC Current, 100mA). If the magnet is fixed, there is Lorentz force on the wire, that is simple. But if I fix the wire, then I wanna to know the displacement of magnet. How can I do that? There is no current in the magnet...I am using the Magnitostatics, Vector potential and Solid strain-stress modules. Any one get any idea?

Thanks a lot!

4 Replies Last Post Sep 21, 2009, 7:27 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 10, 2009, 7:52 p.m. EDT
Well, anyone knows? Please help!
Well, anyone knows? Please help!

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 12, 2009, 2:56 p.m. EDT
My guess is that
1) if you fix the magnet, the magnetic field does not change, then it is a magnetostatic problem
2) if you fix the coil, the magnet will move which will change the field distribution. You probably have to use the transient analysis.

I am not sure, let me know if you figure it out.
My guess is that 1) if you fix the magnet, the magnetic field does not change, then it is a magnetostatic problem 2) if you fix the coil, the magnet will move which will change the field distribution. You probably have to use the transient analysis. I am not sure, let me know if you figure it out.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 13, 2009, 6:44 p.m. EDT
Well, I was using transient analysis but I am sure what kind of force I need to apply on magnet so I can couple the magnetic and structure module...
Well, I was using transient analysis but I am sure what kind of force I need to apply on magnet so I can couple the magnetic and structure module...

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2009, 7:27 p.m. EDT
anyone can help?
anyone can help?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.