Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[COMSOL with MATLAB][Beginner] Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm new to Comsol and I'm trying to use it with Matlab. I'm just playing with the geometry right now to learn how to use it. What I would like to do is to define an object (line or surface) using a matrix of coordinates of N points. I guess I should use the function "geom2" but I don't understand how to use it properly.
Can someone help me ?

I describe differently what I want to do:
I have N points of coordinates (Xn, Yn). I want to create a line that links all this points with segments.
In a second step I'd like the points to be linked not with segments anymore but with interpolation curves.

Thanks in advance!
Ronan

2 Replies Last Post Sep 13, 2009, 1:02 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 11, 2009, 4:44 a.m. EDT
Hi,
To draw a polyline. Click Line from draw/specify object/Line. Line window will open. Under the coordinates there is a X edit box and y edit box. In the x edit box type all the x coordinates seperated with , like x1,x2,x3,x4,..xn and in the y edit box type all the y coordinates line y1,y2,y3,y4,...yn then from the style select polyline or a closed polyline.then click OK. The polyline is drawn.
The geom2 as far as I know is for cases when you want to draw a 2D shape and extrude to make 3D. If you want to draw a 2D on x-y plane and extrude it along z first go to draw/work plane setting/Quick and select x-y z=0 and click OK. A 2D plane will appear. draw what you like then use draw/extrude to extrude it along z.
I don't know about the second step(the interpolation curve)
Hope it helps
Nastaran
Hi, To draw a polyline. Click Line from draw/specify object/Line. Line window will open. Under the coordinates there is a X edit box and y edit box. In the x edit box type all the x coordinates seperated with , like x1,x2,x3,x4,..xn and in the y edit box type all the y coordinates line y1,y2,y3,y4,...yn then from the style select polyline or a closed polyline.then click OK. The polyline is drawn. The geom2 as far as I know is for cases when you want to draw a 2D shape and extrude to make 3D. If you want to draw a 2D on x-y plane and extrude it along z first go to draw/work plane setting/Quick and select x-y z=0 and click OK. A 2D plane will appear. draw what you like then use draw/extrude to extrude it along z. I don't know about the second step(the interpolation curve) Hope it helps Nastaran

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 13, 2009, 1:02 p.m. EDT
Thanks for your answer, I'm going to try this tomorrow.
Thanks for your answer, I'm going to try this tomorrow.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.