Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3 coupled non linear partial differential equations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have 3 variables, w(y,t), v(y,t), k(y,t). Using the standard pde notation, I want to solve

w_t=-(vg*w)_y+(gamma-D*(kx0^2+k^2))*w
v_t=(vg*w)_y-nu*v
k_t=-kx0*v_y

Subject to
w(0,y)=w0*exp(-.1*y)
v(0,y)=vx0*cos(3y)
k(0,y)=ky0*exp(-.05*y)
And
w(t,0)=w0; v(t,0)=vx0; k(t,0)=k0;
w(t,100)=0=v(t,100)=k(t,100);

Here vg=2*B*kx0*k/((kx0^2+k^2)^2)

Where I use the following values
w0=15; ky0=5=kx0; vx0=2;
B=80; kx0=5; ky0=5;gamma=7*exp(-0.1*y); D=0.1*exp(.01y);

COMSOL just gives a bunch of numerical oscillation for the w equation (which isn't physically reasonable) and the other results are full of oscillation as well. Is there a way to optimize COMSOL to give a smooth solution? I have a solution I believe is somewhat correct that I used PDEPE in Matlab to obtain.

I have tried: Matlab's PDEPE, discretizing the RHS and using the method of lines, FlexPDE, and NDSolve in Mathematica.

I have tried so many different solvers and none have been able to solve this system. It is getting quite frustrating...

2 Replies Last Post Sep 19, 2009, 6:55 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2009, 6:10 p.m. EDT
Hi

to be sure I understand you, and to allow mw to play a little with your equations, is

k(t,0)=k0; then what is "k0" or was it a typo and I should read k(t,0)=ky0; ?

and what is the value of "nu" in v_t=(vg*w)_y-nu*v

And have you tried Maple as solver ?

Ivar
Hi to be sure I understand you, and to allow mw to play a little with your equations, is k(t,0)=k0; then what is "k0" or was it a typo and I should read k(t,0)=ky0; ? and what is the value of "nu" in v_t=(vg*w)_y-nu*v And have you tried Maple as solver ? Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2009, 6:55 p.m. EDT
It should read ky0. The variable is actually k_y but I did not want to use the subscript because it can be confused with PDE notation so I switched to k as the variable name. For the parameters I was using, nu=0.1. It is the drag on the flow.

I have not tried Maple but Mathematica gives nonsensical results. Matlab is a bit better but not sure it is correct either. I have attached a PDF detailing the mathematical description of the problem in easy to ready latex.
It should read ky0. The variable is actually k_y but I did not want to use the subscript because it can be confused with PDE notation so I switched to k as the variable name. For the parameters I was using, nu=0.1. It is the drag on the flow. I have not tried Maple but Mathematica gives nonsensical results. Matlab is a bit better but not sure it is correct either. I have attached a PDF detailing the mathematical description of the problem in easy to ready latex.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.