Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Friction with 3.5a (without MEMS, Chemical Eng. Mod. or Heat Trans. Mod.), models, advice?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to specify friction with 3.5a without the use of the following three modules:
1) MEMS
2) Chemical Engineering
3) Heat Transfer

I've researched the 3 available user guides for COMSOL version 3.5a, and only one page mentions friction, but only in theory (no programming application). Also, upon researching friction in COMSOL models online, 5 models are tagged with "friction," yet all 5 involve one of the 3 aforementioned modules (or version 4.0a) of which I do not have.

How can I specify friction with 3.5a? (Using COMSOL Multiphysics Module and Structural Mechanics Module only)

Are there any other example models (besides the 5 mentioned) that may help me?

Basically, which application modes under COMSOL Multiphysics and Structural Mechanics Module for 3.5a can specify friction (ex. Solid Stress/Strain, Thermal-Structural Interaction, etc.), and what is the variable symbol for friction with 3.5a?

Any help?

Thanks,
Kevin

5 Replies Last Post Sep 24, 2010, 7:57 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2010, 6:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

there is the example of the sliding slope case, but you should perhaps define what you want to do whith the friction, heat genration, motion loss (egenmode damping ...)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there is the example of the sliding slope case, but you should perhaps define what you want to do whith the friction, heat genration, motion loss (egenmode damping ...) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2010, 7:25 p.m. EDT
Hello,

I'm specifically interested in motion loss caused by kinetic friction.

Apparently, there isn't an accessible model file for sliding slope, but a couple of articles seem to discuss the theory aspect behind it.

How would I express this sliding slope situtation with COMSOL 3.5a (under boundary expressions, boundary conditions, constants, etc.), and which applications should I use (3-D Solid/Stress, Strain)? I'm trying to model this sliding slope on a circular boundary (or hollow cylinder) in a 3D regime.

Best,
Kevin
Hello, I'm specifically interested in motion loss caused by kinetic friction. Apparently, there isn't an accessible model file for sliding slope, but a couple of articles seem to discuss the theory aspect behind it. How would I express this sliding slope situtation with COMSOL 3.5a (under boundary expressions, boundary conditions, constants, etc.), and which applications should I use (3-D Solid/Stress, Strain)? I'm trying to model this sliding slope on a circular boundary (or hollow cylinder) in a 3D regime. Best, Kevin

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 20, 2010, 5:45 a.m. EDT

Hi

in my doc 3.5a smemodlib.pdf p 141 and thereon there is the slidong edge axample with friction, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in my doc 3.5a smemodlib.pdf p 141 and thereon there is the slidong edge axample with friction, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 24, 2010, 4:45 a.m. EDT
Hey,

How do I find this file: smemodlib.pdf? You mention its on page 141, but of what exactly, not the COMSOL Multiphysics User's Guide or Modeling guide? I tried searching the Online model exchange and all files online as well, but no pdf files for smemodlib popped up.

Is there a link for this pdf file?

Thanks for your help,

Kev
Hey, How do I find this file: smemodlib.pdf? You mention its on page 141, but of what exactly, not the COMSOL Multiphysics User's Guide or Modeling guide? I tried searching the Online model exchange and all files online as well, but no pdf files for smemodlib popped up. Is there a link for this pdf file? Thanks for your help, Kev

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 24, 2010, 7:57 a.m. EDT
Hi

smemodlib.pdf is the Structural Mechanics module MODEL LIBRARY V3.5a

if you do a search for *.pdf on your .../comsol3.5a/doc folder you should find it
(if you have the sme module, which might not be the case, for me its an essential item if you do structural analysis)

I usually index all my COMSOL PDF files with the MS indexer helps to find my way in there

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi smemodlib.pdf is the Structural Mechanics module MODEL LIBRARY V3.5a if you do a search for *.pdf on your .../comsol3.5a/doc folder you should find it (if you have the sme module, which might not be the case, for me its an essential item if you do structural analysis) I usually index all my COMSOL PDF files with the MS indexer helps to find my way in there -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.