Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid structure interaction: acoustic/shell interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have been struggling with the fluid structure interaction coupling of a vibrating shell which is completely immersed in an air domain. I would only like to do the one-way coupling, i.e. setting the accelerations of the shell as boundary condition on that surface in the air domain. Does anyone have an example?
I can get it to work if I make the shell a solid but I do not want to do that since the shell is very thin and I run into numerical issues if I make the shell a solid ...
Thanks for your support!

Ysbrand

2 Replies Last Post Apr 15, 2011, 10:23 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2011, 4:16 p.m. EST
Hello,
I have the same problem I can't get the model to work. I have a thin plate in the fluid it works with sold but DOF of teh system blow up from 100K to 6 million
Hello, I have the same problem I can't get the model to work. I have a thin plate in the fluid it works with sold but DOF of teh system blow up from 100K to 6 million

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 10:23 a.m. EDT
The way I would do it is set a boundary load on the solid, look up the dependendent variables for the solid part in the root of that physics's tree, figure out how to express the derivatives of those, and set the normal acceleration of the fluid boundary equal to those. Hope that helps. You may run into trouble later with non-converging solutions if you use automatic determination of linearity, at least I did when doing two way coupling.

--
Sami

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arts, crafts and sciences uplift the world of being and are conducive to its exaltation.
~Baha'u'llah
The way I would do it is set a boundary load on the solid, look up the dependendent variables for the solid part in the root of that physics's tree, figure out how to express the derivatives of those, and set the normal acceleration of the fluid boundary equal to those. Hope that helps. You may run into trouble later with non-converging solutions if you use automatic determination of linearity, at least I did when doing two way coupling. -- Sami ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Arts, crafts and sciences uplift the world of being and are conducive to its exaltation. ~Baha'u'llah

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.