Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence in higher velocity

Senapati Sri Krishnamurti

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

i have a CFD Model for a flow cell with laminar flow. Im supposed to implement this model for inlet velocity of 0.9, 4.71, 9.43, 23.57 and 47.157 cm/s. But, if i input the last two inlet velocities (23.57 and 47.157 cm/s), it doesnt converge. I defined the inlet with inlet velocity configuration and the outlet with pressure boundary condition (static pressure). Can anyone help me with this problem? How should i optimize the model so it converges? I attached the model here...

1 Reply Last Post Oct 24, 2023, 1:54 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 months ago Oct 24, 2023, 1:54 p.m. EDT
Updated: 6 months ago Oct 24, 2023, 1:54 p.m. EDT

Hi Senapati,
I suggest you to multiply your viscosity in your material by a constant "c". Define c=10 as a parameter and solve to check it converges with your highest velocity. Then instead of ramping the velocity, ramp down the coefficient c from 10 to 1 (just put those 2 values). That should help the convergence so that you get your result at the velocity you want. Afterwards, just check that your mesh is fine enough to solve for the boundary layer : compute size = d/sqrt(Re), where d is typically your diameter. Check with your mesh size, you should get a few mesh elements throughout your boundary layer.
Good luck!
Eric Favre
Renaissance Fusion

-------------------
Eric Favre
Renaissance Fusion
Hi Senapati, I suggest you to multiply your viscosity in your material by a constant "c". Define c=10 as a parameter and solve to check it converges with your highest velocity. Then instead of ramping the velocity, ramp down the coefficient c from 10 to 1 (just put those 2 values). That should help the convergence so that you get your result at the velocity you want. Afterwards, just check that your mesh is fine enough to solve for the boundary layer : compute size = d/sqrt(Re), where d is typically your diameter. Check with your mesh size, you should get a few mesh elements throughout your boundary layer. Good luck! Eric Favre Renaissance Fusion

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.